New Hampton, New Hampshire
New Hampton is a town in Belknap County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 2,165 at the 2010 census. A winter sports resort area, New Hampton is home to George Duncan State Forest and to the New Hampton School, a private preparatory school established in 1821.
The primary village in town, where 351 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined as the New Hampton census-designated place (CDP), and is located along New Hampshire Route 132, just south of its intersection with Route 104.
Granted in 1765 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, New Hampton was originally known as Moultonborough Addition after then-Colonel Jonathan Moulton, who held the position of town moderator. Moulton, who was born in Hampton, changed the name to New Hampton in 1777 when it was incorporated.
In 1821 the New Hampton School, a Free Will Baptist institution, was founded in the town. From 1854 to 1870, the institute was affiliated with Cobb Divinity School (later part of Bates College).
In 1920, the New Hampton Fish Hatchery, the state's oldest fish hatchery, was established in the town.
New Hampton Properties
- Alton & Alton Bay
- Center Harbor
- Gilmanton & Gilmanton Ironworks
- Hebron & East Hebron
- Holderness & East Holderness
- New Hampton
- Wolfeboro & Wolfeboro Falls
Copyright 2020 New England Real Estate Network, Inc. All rights reserved. This information is deemed reliable, but not guaranteed. The data relating to real estate displayed on this Site comes in part from the IDX Program of NEREN. The information being provided is for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Data last updated Jun 1, 2020 2:07:pm.